Your skin health is a mirror to your overall emotional and physical health. Proper care and along with a healthy diet should be followed strictly to avoid living in frustration and disappointment of living with face breakouts and the possibility of leaving scars.
What is Acne?
Acne vulgaris is a skin disease, causing pimples on the skin and especially on your face, hands, and back. It can be mild, moderate or severe.
There are two types of acne, either:
-Inflammatory: caused by infections (pimples\ cysts & nodules which are severe infected painful pimples)
-Non- inflammatory: not by infections, white head (dead skin trapped in follicle) or blackheads (debris trapped inside the skin).
- Hormonal levels changing (Pregnancy and premenstrual cycle)
- Stress and anxiety, this is especially obvious in women who pass through a lot of depression phases.
- Lack of sleep
- Excess oil production
- Low hygiene measures
- Trapped hair follicles
- A non-healthy poor diet such as fats, oils, and sugar-containing food.
- Medications as birth control pills and corticosteroids.
Treatment and Home Remedies to get rid of acne
If you just leave acne without treatment, it might cause hyper-pigmented dark spots and leave scars after nodules or cysts are pricked.
- Avoid bad habits
- Over cleaning with cleansers
- Picking the pimples, that will lead to scars
- Focus on outer skin care and forget about your inner health that will reflect back on your skin.
- Gentle regular cleaning
- Gentle mild cleaning of face and body using cleansers every day.
- Use homemade scrubs and face washes, (Honey and coconut oil are magic in fighting bacteria, tea tree oil with yogurt is a super treatment for soothing the skin.
- You have to rinse your face very well and only to pat dry with a soft clean towel.
- Avoid shampoos and shower gels with harmful strong chemicals, with natural ingredients.
- Eat healthy food
- Avoid processed food
- Low sugar containing diet, which is a main a cause of acne
- Eat lots of leafy vegetables and fruits.
- Meat and fish are perfectly containing essential oils for skin.
- Fish with Omega 3 and salmon, are healthy fat containing food.
- Foods which are rich in zinc, like yogurt and chicken decrease the severity of acne.
- Avoid any possibility of allergic foods like nuts, seashells, and chocolate because they are high acne triggers.
- Scrubbing with natural ingredients
- (Sea salt, brown sugar, and coconut oil) will exfoliate gently all the dead cells, allowing your skin to breathe and open all clogged pores.
- Rub in a circular motion starting with the forehead then move downward.
- Avoid sun exposure
- Sun has benefits as well as harm, avoid sun exposure from 12 till 4 pm which dries your skin from good oils and pigments the skin. Avoid any sunscreens that contain harmful chemicals, and apply some every two hours.
- Treat the acne area with antiseptic
- Tea tree oil and coconut oil are perfect natural anti-septic treatments. They treat inflamed acne and irritated skin.
Precautions for Acne Treatments
Acne comes and goes as a natural sequence of being a teenager or passing through a stressful time, but if it is ongoing inflamed acne then you have to go see your dermatologist to exclude any underlying health problems.